Sunday, August 21, 2011

Vanilla Bean Birthday

Last week was my aunt's birthday and I wanted to use some of the great ingredients I bought at a NJ Chef store (thanks to Michelle and Bill).  I found, and have now fallen in love with, vanilla bean paste.  It is so versatile and it's much easier to use than a vanilla bean (it's also less expensive). 

I also decided to try a new type of buttercream with meringue.  It is similar to an Italian or Swiss buttercream which is typically used in wedding cakes.  The process takes a while considering you have to cook the egg whites over simmering water to ensure they are safe to eat.  You then have to whip the whites into a meringue and slowly add chunks of soften butter into the mix.  I was lucky that the buttercream did not get soupy like most recipes warn.  In any case, if it does, continue to whip it until it comes together.

I made a buttermilk vanilla bean cake iced with a meringue vanilla bean buttercream and filled with dulce de leche cream.  I also used the dulce de leche cream to pipe some decorations and "Happy Birthday!" It was all sorts of delicious and I was pretty proud with the results.  In case you're wondering, those tiny pearls were added individually (just saying).  Check out the pics below!



xo,

Daniella :)

No comments:

Post a Comment