Saturday, August 27, 2011

Apple Pie!

I love traditional recipes and this apple pie is a classic!  I decided to use some organic apples I bought in NJ and turn them into a delicious treat.

I made my favorite buttery crust with a touch a cinnamon since it pairs so nicely with apples.  I then sliced a few Granny Smith (since they hold together well during baking) and some New Zealand apples (for flavor) paper thin and sprinkled them with some brown sugar, cinnamon, flour (to thicken the juices), butter and salt.  After adding base dough in the pan and slicing the rest of the dough for the lattice cover, I added the apples and all of their goodness into the pie pan and baked it at 350 degrees for about an hour.  Forty five minutes into baking, I brushed some warm honey on top to get the crust golden brown.  You can also easily substitute milk or a lightly beaten egg.  Here are the before and after pics!

P.S. I still need to work on my lattice design but it's not so bad for my first try! :)



xo,

Daniella :)



No comments:

Post a Comment