Sunday, August 14, 2011

Banana Cream Pie

Oh pie, how I love you!

This was my first time making an entire pie from scratch.  It's a long waiting process but totally worth it.  First, I had to look up an all butter pie crust recipe since I'm not a huge fan of shortening.   I ended up finding a pretty decent one I wanted to try and now I'm hooked.  The crust was light, flaky and full of buttery goodness.  The key to get a nice crust is to not overwork the dough and let it rest.  It has to just barely come together when mixing and chill for at least 30 minutes.  

Since I had to bake my pie crust first, I placed the pie dish with the dough (rolled and crimped) into the freezer for 30 minutes.  This helps with preventing the dough from loosing its shape in the oven.  As it baked, I worked on the other components aka the good stuff!

I sliced 3 ripe bananas and whipped some heavy cream which I folded into some leftover pastry cream I made earlier in the week.  I also chopped up some bittersweet chocolate and made a ganache to layer over the bananas and on top of the pie.  Once the pie crust was cool, I started to layer beginning with bananas on the bottom (this helps the bottom crust stay crisp), chocolate, and ending with pastry cream.  What's the end result?  Check it out below!



xo,

Daniella :)

1 comment: