Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day Cake!

Happy Father's Day! In celebration of this special day, I baked a yummy carrot cake! I substituted some of the ingredients with healthier alternatives.  I have actually done this before for my good friend Michelle when I went to visit.  Her family is a lot more health conscious and I wanted to bake with better ingredients so they didn't feel guilty indulging.

For this cake, I used whole wheat flour and brown sugar instead of all purpose flour and white sugar.  I also added a lot more spices to give the cake a nicer flavor and a lot more nuts, raisins and carrots to give it really great texture.  The frosting is a cinnamon cream cheese buttercream with way less confectioners sugar than the recipe originally called for.  I tend to like my frosting and cakes less sweet.  To make it a little more decorative, I toasted some coconut and added it to the sides of the cake and piped stars (with mini pearls added on top) with my favorite Wilton 21 star tip.  To add a little more contrast, I added whole almonds in between the the piped stars. Finally, I dusted some confectioners sugar in the middle of the cake!  Check out the pics and you'll see what I mean!








I hope you all enjoy your Father's Day with all of the special dads and moms in your life!

xo,

Daniella :)

1 comment: